Lemongrass Rice Paper Rolls
Fable Foods‘ lemongrass rice paper rolls also known as GỎI CUỐN is one of the most traditional Vietnamese dishes.
- 1 packet of rice paper
- 100-150g Vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 Lettuce, butter lettuce works well
- A generous bowl Asian herbs – Vietnamese mint, Vietnamese balm, shiso or perilla leaves, mint
- 1 large cucumber, julienned
- ½ cup of warm water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup fish sauce, replace with soy sauce if vegan
- ¼ cup white or rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 minced chilli, according to desired spice level combine sugar and warm water until dissolved and add remaining ingredients. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- 250g Fable
- 4 tbsp of coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp tamari/soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 30g/ 3 tbsp (approx 1 stalk, white part) fresh lemongrass (substitute with lemongrass powder if you can’t find fresh stalks)
- 1 pc brown onion, cut in half, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 3 pc cloves garlic minced
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 75ml white vinegar
- 75ml warm water
- 1 tsp of sugar Combine all ingredients and set aside (at least 30 minutes, the longer the better)
- Make the pickled carrot by combining ingredients and setting aside
- In a food processor, whiz the lemongrass into fine shreds. You may need to stop occasionally to scrape the sides back in. Process until as fine as possible. It helps to bash the stalk first with a pestle or rolling pin and then roughly chop the stalk up first.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the wet ingredients and stir until well combined. Add onion, minced garlic and lemongrass
- Shred Fable with your fingers into smaller bits and add them into the wet mixture. Combine and ensure Fable is evenly coated. Set aside for approx. 30 minutes.
- Cook vermicelli noodles according to packet instructions, rinse with cold water and strain.
- Whilst the Fable is marinading, wash and dry your lettuce and Asian herbs. Place in separate plates and set on the table along with, a packet of rice paper sheets, vermicelli noodles, pickled carrots and a large bowl of water to wet your rice paper.
- Heat oil in a large pan until hot and add Fable mixture, and fry for about 10 minutes until and the onion and Fable is caramelised the nicely browned. Transfer to a serving dish and set alongside the other ingredients.
- Wet the rice paper sheet by very briefly submerging it into a bowl of water. Shake off excess water and lay it on a flat plate.
- Now layer your filling horizontally right beneath the midline of the rice paper sheet. Start by making a bed with your Asian herbs and a bit of lettuce. Top with a small number of vermicelli noodles, one cucumber stick, pickled carrots and then the Fable mix. Be careful not to overfill your roll – so best to err on the side of less until you find your sweet spot.
- Now fold the sides of the rice paper sheet to cover the side edges of your filling.
- Fold the bottom edge of the paper rice (the side that’s closest to you) over the filling. Whilst keeping the sides folded in with your fingers, start rolling away from you with medium to firm pressure, tucking the filling in underneath as you roll.
- Dip your roll in nuoc cham and munch away!